Monday 12 January 2015

Latest Portrait

This is the completed portrait of the actor Emily Blunt. I've heard of her but she is one of the younger generation while I'm one of the older ............  The inspiration was a cover photograph in the Observer weekend magazine.


Emily Blunt - 16" x 12" Centenaire 140 lb (300gsm) not


Emily Blunt - modified version with hairline softened in places. Which is better?


I'm reasonably happy with this but getting my excuses in first fall back on Charles Reids exhortation `to be cruder', and also his view that `mistakes' are part of it! I can always see where things could be better but what the heck! IF I can capture the `essence' of the subject then I'm reasonably content. I think this has been achieved although you may disagree. 

I first made a pencil drawing as accurately as I'm  capable of  without too much detail using a Pentel mechanical pencil 07 2B. I then painted in two stages, the first session at the AVA and completion yesterday. Brushes were my usual Isabey Kolinskys ranging from the retractable No 6 to the 6228 No 8. As I've emphasized before the retractable is a very slim brush quite unlike a `normal' 6 - much smaller. In any event Isabeys tend to be slimmer and smaller than some other makes. I do like them though.

My primary concern is getting the features right starting with the eyes. I don't aim for a perfect representation but at least hope the subject is identifiable. I'm trying not to be too complicated with the rest, especially the hair. I've still not satisfied with this aspect.

Colours used were Cadmium Red LIght, the main colour, with small amounts of Raw Sienna and Cerulean to darken the mixture. I also used some Ivory Black for the eyelids. The hair is mainly Ultramarine Blue, Translucent Brown (Schminke) and a little Raw Umber. The yellow is Hansa Yellow Medium (Daniel Smith).



12 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Great portrait and like to read your progress through it. I think w/c is the hardest media for a portrait, so well done

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Polly.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Nothing too much wrong with this portrait, Peter. The aspect you are not satisfied with could need a little help, or not. It's in your hands.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. As for your other comment I was in a dilemma as what to do because the source subject had such clear cut lines. I might do another version trying your suggestions. As you know I'm well aware oh how Charles paints his portraits but unfortunately I'm not him!

Linda Roth said...

Nice portrait--I have no idea who she is, being of the older generation myself, but she's lovely in yellow. Mistakes are most certainly part of the process. We make them everyday--and that's how wee get ahead.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Linda. Apparently she's one of the current generation of young British female actors. You learn from your mistakes - at least that's the accepted wisdom. I still keep making them though!

Unknown said...

This one works Peter, enough left for the viewer to work on. I like it a lot.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. See the `modified' version though.

Oscar Solis said...

I like the painting, particularly the colors, but I have a problem with the nose. While I like Charles Reid's bit about crudity and mistakes I'm kind of funny about facial features.

Reid's exhortations remind me of something I noticed in Quentin Blake's work. It's loose as anything but he has his fundamentals down. I noted this when I saw two drawings of a woman he did on location. One was loose and the other a bit tighter.

Peter Ward said...

Yes you're right about the nose Oscar. It has to be right and this is not quite there. As I've said the problem is I'm not Charles Reid.

Yvonne Harry said...

Well done Peter. I really like it.
Wish I could do as well!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne. I'm sure you could if you wished!