Monday 6 October 2014

Latest Painting - Seed Heads

At the most recent AVA session the subject was seed heads. Not an easy subject but I managed to find a few small branches of berries. Not perhaps as intended when the subjects were drawn up but they are seeds after all.



This was my small arrangement


This is only the second painting I've done since I damaged my hand. I coped alright but  holding paintbrushes is still awkward. The other factor was that I've hardly done anything - not just over the injury - for nearly three months. Apart from the problems of dry paint - necessitating regular use of the spray bottle - I read once that you need to paint three times a week just to maintain existing standards and more than this if you wish to improve. I was therefore slightly apprehensive. I was reasonably happy with the result although it seemed my ability to do small areas of detail is still impeded.

I used a lot of Schminke Translucent Orange (PO71) and lesser amounts of Quinacridone Rose for the berries, Sap and Apatite Green for the foliage and some Teal Blue to make the vase stand out from the background. I know it is far from perfect but hopefully I can continue to improve with regular painting. Brushes were my usual Isabey, Escoda and Rosemary retractables 4, 6 (Isabey), 8, 10 and 12.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this painting Peter, especially the way you've painted the vase. I think a break from painting now and again is good for us. We return with new and refreshed aims and enjoyment of art.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Jan. Hope you had a good holiday.

Michele Clamp said...

Sorry to hear about your hand Peter and I hope you're mending steadily. The painting looks great - I don't see any drop in standard at all.

You obviously need regular practice to keep your hand in but 3 times a week to stand still seems a bit rigid. I know I painted once a week for a couple of years and made huge progress. In fact my work colleagues often helpfully remark that I'm not bad now compared to the awful stuff of two years ago.

Good to see you back - I've missed your posts.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Good work Peter,excellent colour and composition.

Polly Birchall said...

You've done very well considering your injury, and I do love to hear what people use too. Thanks for sharing

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Michelle. I read the `three times a week' in a book by the artist Marilyn Simandle. People are different,perhaps it applies to some and not to others.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. Saw your latest on Facebook - very good.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Polly.

Yvonne Harry said...

Lovely Peter!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne.