Wednesday 28 August 2013

New Insert for my Craig Young Palette - the Paintbox.

For some time I've felt that the 16 well insert for my Paintbox is not ideal for me. Recently I asked Craig to make me a 24 well insert to replace the current 16 wells. It arrived by post today. 


My well-used Paintbox with new 24 well insert.

I'm not a limited palette person. I like as many options as possible and paint a range of subjects that often require different colours. Not for me the half dozen or even dozen paints of the limited palette. Many will disagree with my approach but plenty will agree and I think in general there is a tendency to have more paints available rather than less.

I've had the above palette for some years now and seeing Charles Reid's paint box at Stow this year prompted me to do something. See the small amounts of paint in each well.  


Charles Reid's Palette at Stow

Charles recommends you squeeze out fresh paint each day you paint. The above is the normal 16 well palette and each well can hold a considerable amount of paint - far more than is needed for my` first try for a finish' Reid approach. I rarely achieve this `first try' thing but that's another matter! The new wells are smaller - obviously - but will still hold a lot of paint and unless you use wide flats or very large rounds are perfectly adequate. I've modified my current insert by sticking in some half pans and count 28 (!) but that can be cut down, and the next task is to carefully consider what paints to make up the palette. The first dozen or so are fairly obvious but it then gets trickier. I do hedge my bets in that I have a secondary small palette with 12 additional paints but I think that will also have to be pruned.

I'm not rushing things as I'm still stuck in the moving house problem but will report further when this is resolved and am settled in my new painting abode.



11 comments:

Celia Blanco said...

Why limit yourself, 24 wells is just better.

Peter Ward said...

Quite right Celia. The more the merrier I say (laugh). I think 24 is nearly then perfect number.

Daniel Novotny said...

I can see now that this was a custom order Peter?
It is always best to work with things that work for you, not limiting yourself if not absolutely necessary. I agree that using fresh paint every day is crucial and look forward to seeing your results.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Looks good Peter. Can't wait to see the colours you will be using. I like the idea of the fresh paint every day.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments David. The 24 well insert was made by Craig at my request. He will do such things quite willingly if he is able. He has also made palettes to artists specifications at times. Obviously all this is at a price - in the case of my insert £45.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. I watched Charles use fresh paint every day at Stow. I shall work out my palette over the next few weeks and then probably do a feature on it on here.

Jane Blundell said...

Wow Peter - that was quick! I am delighted for you. I love 24 pigments - covers all you might need anywhere in the world really...with a few stowaways just in case!
Have fun with it. cheers
Jane

Jane Blundell said...

just a thought - rather than a blob of paint in the middle of each well, squeeze it done one end for more space to mix a juicy wash within the well...

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Jane. Back on line today. I haven't given much thought to the `new'palette yet with so many other things associated with the move. It's been very prolonged and something of a nightmare at times. Still we finally made it but a lot of work still to do.

dave said...

Peter..just purchased Craig young pallate on ebay...belonged to charles reid...would like to send or post pics of it

giaonhan247 said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu với dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa quốc tế, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi canada uy tín, giá rẻ