Thursday 4 April 2013

Shadows

This was the subject at today's Avon Valley Artists session. Attendance was only ten, one of whom was a new member. This is due to half-term week with several either on holiday or looking after grandchildren! The subject was `shadows', which made for a a fairly broad interpretation. In my case I decided to do a portrait using one of my black and white Indian photographs. 


As you may be able to see the reference photograph showed  considerable contrast with the left facing side of the face virtually disappearing. I concentrated on the shadow side and did not attempt to fill in the `blank' area of the face.


16" x 12" Fabriano Hot Press 140lb (300gsm)

You may note `Hot Press' paper. I've never used this before but have noticed some good watercolour artists paint portraits on this surface. After I arrived home I studied the painting again and decided it was too pale in the shadow areas. I wet the paper then added a wash of Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. My approach is to try and follow Charles Reid's advice to be slightly `crude'. I'm not entirely happy with the result - when am I ever - but will certainly give hot press another try. I used Schminke Translucent Brown, Cerulean, Cobalt Blue, Yellow Ochre and Cadmium Red Light in various mixes, mostly mixed on the paper. Raw Sienna was introduced for the sash.  Brushes were the Isabey retractable size 6 and the Escoda retractables 8 and 10.


Jan Weeks 16 " x 12"


Yvonne Harry 


Pat Walker



Another enjoyable session and next week the subject is `Chimneys and Roof Tops'.





14 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your portrait a lot, it seems to encapsulate many of the ideas underpinning the direction you want to move in. One of your very best.

Michele Clamp said...

I agree with Mick - this is a very impressive portrait. And well done on the hot press. I have some languishing in the pile and haven't really got to grips with it. Any tips on moving from cold to hot?

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Mick. To be truthful I wasn't quite sure how this would be received.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Michele. This is my first painting on hot press paper. Initially I thought it wouldn't work but then it seemed to get better. I shall certainly try some more. I don't think it would work so well if you paint in layers.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

The portrait is one of your best Peter. The less is best works so well here.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. As I've said already I'm slightly surprised at the reaction to this one. It may well point the way for me in the future. I have been looking at a variety of different artists for inspiration (!).

Irena said...

I really like this portrait. I think you have found your direction here.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Irena. As for the new direction I'm not sure - we'll have to see.

Dr Henry Tegner said...

I am a bit troubled by what appears to be a pigmented lesion over the left zygomatic arch. Hopefully a deliberate effect of light and shadow rather than enything sinsister.

Peter Ward said...

You have me puzzled there Henry. I've no idea what you mean! All I tried to do was portray the shadows.

Unknown said...

One of your best portraits and agood choice to portray shadows.

Yvonne Harry said...

Very nice Peter. Have never used hop pressed paper,althouigh I think true botanical artists use it all the time

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Jan. I shall be doing another, Sitting Bull, on Waterford Not so will see how this compares with the Hot Press paper.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne. I'd seen something somewhere that indicated some watercolour artists did portraits on Hot Press paper. I'll certainly give it another try. You do get a different effect.