Tuesday 3 July 2012

Mat Stams

Mat Stams was a Maricopa Indian. This photograph was taken in 1907 by Edward Curtis. I have painted him previously and wanted to take a slightly different approach.

The Maricopa live in Southwestern Arizona, where they have been for hundreds of years. For more information on the tribe see www.bigorrin.org/maricopa_kids.htm  

 Mat Stams 16" x 12" Fabriano Artistico Extra White Not

This was painted on a Fabriano block of 18" x 12" size. As my prerred sizes are either 16" x 12" or 20 " x 14" I have reduced the size by marking off an inch  on the long  18"side of the block.
I  first made a preliminary drawing attempting to get accurate proportions. As usual I started painting the eyes, nose, mouth, then the rest. After the preliminary washes I added darker colour - more blue - where appropriate. I've a tendency to start into areas before they are fully dry, something I must resist. The features and skin colours were mixtures of Cadmium Red Light, Cobalt Blue Deep (Rowney PB72), Raw Sienna and Quinacridone Rust (Graham PO48). The hair is a mixture of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna. There is some green (Hookers - Graham) and yellow (DS Hansa Yellow Medium PY97) in the background. I mostly mix on the paper. I added the yellow in the background to brighten and warm up the otherwise coolness. Brushes used were the Rosemary Series 33 size 12 plus some Isabey smaller sizes.

For those who are interested I've just started a `Figurative Watercolours' group on Facebook.

9 comments:

Linda Roth said...

You did well by Mat Peter. I like your vignette composition and light strokes. Very nice.

Sharon Whitley said...

love it

artist said...

I like this version too.

Your group sounds interesting but I don't like Facebook.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

It is obvious you enjoy doing these portraits Peter, as you make such a good job of them.

Unknown said...

You're developing a real consistency with these portraits. It's another good 'un.

Peter Ward said...

Thank you Linda and Sharon (Welcome)

Peter Ward said...

I know the doubts about Facebook Artist but I'm only involved with other artists. who post their paintings, not the other stuff. So far seeing such magnificent work is inspiring me.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. I do enjoy doing them. They don't sell (well one did) but as they interact with my interest in American Indians I don't mind.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. I have wondered if I could have made it slightly more colourful but.....